Wednesday 30 July 2014

Things I Miss about Childhood

1. School holidays
Nothing beats the thought of having six weeks off during summer stretched ahead of you. I remember the sun soaked, fun filled days either in the garden or playing out with friends. I also spent quite a chunk of my summer at holiday playcentre with a group of other kids as my nan used to work there and the paddling pool days were my favourite. As I got older and became a teenager I'd lie on the grass on an old towel or blanket reading magazines such as Sugar, J17 and 19, whilst stuffing my face with bags of 10p crisps (more on this later...)
Also, how great was it having two weeks off at Christmas and spending the build up to it making cards and decorations? I miss those days

2. Collecting tat
The 90's were full of fads and crazes including pogs, Spice Girl photos, football stickers,tamagotchis, temporary tattoos, tattoo style jewellery, (which has made reappearance this summer) pots of gunge, squishy aliens in gunge and many more that I struggle to remember and much to the despair of my poor family, I collected a lot of this stuff. My long, suffering Grandad would buy me endless packs of those Spice Girl photos, only for most of them to be doubles. I owe him BIG time
My other grandparents had a house in Cornwall and I'll always remember a shop in Mevagissy that was full of bits and bobs such as bouncy balls, beads and souvenirs. I used to spend hours making jewellery with beads or cotton and I miss having the time to do that as it's so therapeutic

3. Saturday Kid's TV
From Live and kicking to SMTV, there was always something good to watch on the telly when I was a youngster. I'd watch Live and Kicking most Saturdays and even had a CD ROM game based on the show! As I got a bit older SMTV and CDUK were regular Saturday morning viewing and Ant and Dec set the tone for the weekend.

4. Saturday Night TV
In my opinion, the Saturday night TV of the 90s is yet to be topped. How can you argue with Gladiators followed by Blind Date? One of my favourite challenges on Gladiators was the one where they have to knock their opponent off the podium with what looks like a giant cotton bud. Don't think I'd be brave enough to attempt it myself though! Thoughts of the Crystal Maze also just flashed into my mind but that's another story...
Blind Date is the best and funniest dating show of all time and Cilla Black is definitely the Queen of matchmaking

5. Being able to eat whatever you want without putting on weight
I probably miss this one the most! I've always had a sweet tooth and as a child I'd eat sweets and drink fizzy drinks or milkshake almost every day. 20p mixes, hubba bubba and whistle lollies along with pick n mix when I was lucky enough to visit Woolworths were firm favourites. I could also devour 6 packs of 10p crisps in one sitting without worrying about them going straight to my stomach. Those were the days!

6. A carefree life
I have always been a worrier and panicker, even as a child but despite this life was so much more laid back, relaxed and fun. I think knowing that you were always only a few weeks from half term helped along with not having any worries or knowing how bad the world really is. Once you lose that innocence you can never get it back but you can look back fondly at your childhood memories and temporarily transport yourself to that place again

5 comments:

  1. This has made me so nostalgic! Being a kid in the 90's was the best, do you remember those transfer tattoos you got with gum? I used to feel so 'hard' hahaha. Loved this post!

    Hayley-Eszti
    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it bought back good memories. Haha, I remember those! The tattoos were usually boyish and sometimes the gum was really hard but I'd still eat it!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! It's so true! Especially the Saturday Morning/Evening Tv, I never used to move from the TV! x

    becschle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, me neither. Shame TV is nowhere near as good nowadays x

      Delete
  3. Loved this post hun, I want to go back to those days. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete